How to Find the Unused Frequency for FM Radio Transmitters?
FM radio transmitters are one of the easiest and most affordable ways to listen to your mobile device's music. But for a rookie, it may be a little difficult to find a frequency free of interference. If you're troubling in finding an unused FM frequency, this share will be useful for you.
Since the FM broadcast bands used worldwide are within the VHF range, that is 30 ~ 300MHz, the FM broadcast band is also called VHF FM frequency band. At present, countries around the world mainly use the following three VHF FM broadcast bands:
- 87.5 - 108.0 MHz - This is the most widely used VHF FM broadcast band in the world, so it is also known as the "standard" FM broadcast band.
- 76.0 - 95.0 MHz - Japan is using this FM broadcast band.
- 65.8 - 74.0 MHz - This VHF FM band is called OIRT band. This FM broadcast band is mainly used by some countries in Eastern Europe. But now these countries have changed to use the "standard" FM broadcast band 87.5 - 108 MHz. Only a few countries left are still using OIRT band.
Therefore, before finding the available FM frequency, you should confirm the allowed FM frequency in your country.
The rules for setting FM radio stations frequencies vary from country to country. In some countries, the FM radio stations occupy a longer frequency band, which may be due to technical limitations, but it is more likely to avoid signal interference caused by two radio stations with similar frequencies. For example, in the United States, commercial FM broadcasting is assigned a bandwidth of 0.2 MHz, and some countries will assign the commercial FM broadcasting bandwidth to 0.1 MHz.
Generally speaking, in order to reduce signal interference between frequency bands, two radio stations with similar locations will use frequencies at least 0.5 MHz apart from each other.
The frequency you can use depends on your actual location. There are two ways to find the frequency that can be used. The first way is to try every open FM frequency. The second way is to search on the Internet or consult the local telecommunications department.
- Try every open FM frequency
This way requires you to adjust the frequency of the radio and FM radio transmitter. After confirming which frequencies are open in your area, you can try each open FM frequency.
This way comes with some advantages:
- As you will try every open FM frequency, perhaps you can find out various unused FM frequencies.
- You can know the accurate frequency where the radio can emit the best sound.
If you are in the United States, you can start at 88.1MHz, then 88.3MHz, 88.5MHz, and so on. If you find the radio can stably emit clear sound on a certain frequency, such as 89.1MHz, congratulations! You have found an unused frequency, which is 89.1MHz. Keep trying, and perhaps you can find more unused frequency.
But, it alsocomes with obvious disadvantages:
- If you live in the city, it's hard to find an unused FM frequency. Because most of the FM frequencies in big cities may have been occupied.
- Because the power of personal FM radio transmitters is generally low, even if you find an FM frequency can be used, it is easy to be disturbed by other FM signals.
- This way is not suitable when your location is moving. For example, if you are in a moving car, the usable FM frequency will change with your position.
Therefore, try FM frequency each by each can be clear with whether the frequencies are available in your location.
- Find Google or consult local Radio&TV Adminstration
If you are in the United States, you can find the FM frequency you can use in your area on some websites. For example, Radio Locator can help you find open and available frequencies based on the city, state, and zip code you enter.
At the same time, you can also consult the local telecommunications department about the available frequency of your current location. If it is allowed, they will offer you an unused frequency.
Note: In general, the frequency used by FM broadcast transmitters is 88.0 - 108.0MHz. If you need to use other frequencies, please contact us. We can customize the frequency for your FM transmitter.
We hope this share is helpful for you to find unused FM frequency. If you like this article, please share it with your friends.
FMUSER is a professional radio station equipment manufacturer, always gaining the trust of customers with radio broadcast equipment with high quality and competitive prices. If you are about to buyFM radio station equipment for personal use or professional radio stations, please feel free to contact us. We are all ears.
What is center frequency means?
It means the frequency in the middle of a frequency band. For instance, in the FM frequency band from 89.6 to 89.8 MHz, the centre frequency is 89.7 MHz.
Which is better, AM or FM?
FM signals have a great advantage over AM signals. When you using FM frequency, the frequency of the carrier signal is varied. Although both AM signals and FM signals are easy to slight changes in amplitude, these changes result in static for AM signals.
Why use FM in radio broadcast?
wide-band FM is used worldwide to provide high fidelity sound over broadcast radio. FM broadcasting is of higher fidelity than other broadcasting technologies, that is, more accurate reproduction of the original sound, such as AM broadcasting.
Back to the CONTENT
FMUSER INTERNATIONAL GROUP LIMITED.
We are always providing our customers with reliable products and considerate services.
If you would like to keep touch with us directly, please go to contact us